A blockchain is a system that records data in forms that can’t be edited and protect that data. Initially, blockchains were solely used in the finance industry to maintain digital currencies such as the popular Bitcoin. However, that technology has evolved beyond the industry, thus making it more in-demand across various industries.
Whether people are new to using blockchains and looking to expand their knowledge or just trying to brush up on the fundamentals, here are 10 recommended classes they could take:
- “Blockchain Fundamentals” by Jan-Erik Sandberg
This class starts with the basics of blockchain and even goes into how it and Bitcoin are connected. A foundational understanding of computer science, information security, and IT systems are beneficial.
- “Python – The Practical Guide” by Maximilian Schwarzmuller
The use of Python, cryptocurrency, and blockchains are all covered in this course, specifically the relation between blockchains and Python. It’s a good class for people who don’t know how to use programming languages.
- “Blockchain: Foundations and Use Cases” by ConsenSys Academy
Even more than the previously listed course, this one starts with baby steps of the blockchain foundation. It does, however, address Ethereum in addition to Bitcoin.
- “Blockchain & Bitcoin Fundamentals” by George Levy
Though this class also teaches basic blockchain and Bitcoin knowledge, it also adds lessons on digital tokens, networks, and smart contracts. There are many resources to help people retain the information as well.
- “Blockchain Specialization” by Bina Ramamurthy
In-depth and covering many different concepts of blockchains, Bina does expect her students to have some knowledge of Java, web apps, HTML, and command-line interfaces.
- “Ethereum and Solidity: The Complete Developer’s Guide” by Stephen Grider
Unlike the other courses mentioned so far, Stephen’s teaches students who should have intermediate to advanced knowledge of blockchains. Topics like the front- and back-end programming, Semantic UI, Metamask, and Ethereum are covered in this class.
- “The Basics of Blockchain: Ethereum, Bitcoin, & More” by Tom Serres, Bettina Warburg, and Dr. Bill
This is one of the easier classes to take. It focuses on the business side of using blockchains and the impact they have on those businesses.
- “Blockchain A-Z™: Learn How To Build Your First Blockchain” by Hadelin de Ponteves, Kirill Eremenko, and Ligency Team
Covering simple to complex topics surrounding blockchains, “Blockchain A-Z” highlights the mathematical implementations of blockchains as well as cryptocurrency and smart contracts.
- “Become a Blockchain Developer with Ethereum and Solidity” by Sebastien Arbogast and Said Eloudrhiri
As the title suggests, the use of blockchains with Solidity and Ethereum are the central focus of the class. It contains real-world examples on top of techniques for the development, release, and testing of applications on various platforms.
- “Berkeley’s Blockchain Fundamentals Professional Certificate” by Nadir Akhtar, Mengyi Wang, and Rustie Lin
No prior knowledge of blockchains, development, or other technical concepts is required. The course covers advanced concepts equally alongside basic ones. Also, an interactive experience is utilized by the instructors to help students retain the information better.