Among the mountain of programming languages is R. It’s a functional, open-sourced language that works best for developers in the graphics and statistical computing part of the tech industry. And, just like many other languages, there are plenty of resources available.
Here are 10 courses and certificates R developers should get:
- “Data Science R Basics Certificate” by Rafael Irizarry (Harvard University – edX)
The only requirement for this course is that the student’s browser be up-to-date. It addresses a range of topics surrounding R, from basic concepts to more advanced ones.
- “Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp with R” by Jose Portilla (Udemy)
This class focuses on the machine learning and data sciences side of development, as the name suggests. It also covers some of R’s advanced features.
- “Programming for Data Science with R”, a Nanodegree Program from Udacity
Requiring no prior knowledge or experience and beginning with basic concepts, this course contains real-world projects. Git and SQL are introduced alongside R as well.
- “R Programming A – Z: R for Data Science” by Kirill Eremenko and Ligency Team (Udemy)
Although it covers different ranges of experience and knowledge of R, this class does have a steeper learning curve than most of the others on this list. However, it does go through the concepts step-by-step and presents real-life problems to work through.
- “R Programming” by Dr. Roger D. Peng, Ph.D. from John Hopkins University (Coursera)
Data analysis and coding with R are among some of the things Dr. Peng addresses in the class. It does require some kind of knowledge of Python though.
- “Statistics with R Specialization” by Mine Cetinkaya-Rundel, Colin Rundel, David Banks, and Merlise Clyde (Coursera)
Duke University created the course to teach students about the ins and outs of using statistical concepts within R. It’s suitable for developers of any and all skill levels.
- “Learning R (2013)” by Barton Poulson (Lynda)
From installing R to using packages and more, Barton takes students through the fundamentals. He also goes into the statistical side of R programming.
- “Programming with R” by Mihaela Danci (Pluralsight)
This course builds on fundamental R concepts in areas like programming, data visualization, and data science. No prerequisites are required.
- “R Programming: Advanced Analytics in R for Data Science” by Kirill Eremenko and Ligency Team (Udemy)
Though the class states that R programming skills are necessary before taking it, at least a basic understanding is preferred. In addition to covering R, it also touches on R Studio.
- “R Basics- R Programming Language Introduction” by R-Tutorials Training (Udemy)
Free with a step-by-step basic instruction level, the course begins with how to setup R. It too mentions R Studio, as well as the R database and using add-on packages.
Additional Recommended Certificates
- Data Science Prodegree from Imarticus.org
The degree itself is presented by an important figure in the data science community and a machine learning consultancy, KPMG.
- Advanced DataRobot with R Certification
As the name suggests, this is for developers with at least basic to intermediate knowledge of R and DataRobot fundamentals.