AI engineers develop algorithms that simulate human intelligence using theories, methods, and techniques. AI is used by businesses to improve their decisions and production strategies. Thanks to AI in today’s world, computers can process large amounts of data with accuracy.
In retail stores and online environments, artificial intelligence is commonly used to predict consumer preferences. In order to suggest similar items to a shopper, Amazon.com uses predictive algorithms to analyze that shopper’s behavior. These items are displayed to the shopper before the point of purchase, which further boosts the retailer’s sales.
Artificial intelligence can also prevent drivers from causing car accidents due to mistakes in judgment. It could save lives and promote road safety. Some of the hottest AI-based products include self-driving cars, automated financial investing, social media monitoring, and predictive e-commerce tools that increase retailer sales.
An AI engineer’s role goes beyond basic programming. AI software engineer develops programs that automate the process of predicting human behavior based on individual history and information.
Engineers working in artificial intelligence develop, program, and train the algorithms that make AI act like a human brain. For this role, you need to have experience with software development, programming, statistics, and data engineering.
What do AI engineers do?
An artificial intelligence engineer’s main task is to develop algorithms that can learn, analyze, and reason like a human brain. Other responsibilities may include:
- Engineers in AI may be responsible for analyzing and applying artificial intelligence principles regarding reasoning and uncertainty.
- The application of AI and machine learning techniques for image analysis and reconstruction is common among artificial intelligence engineers.
- AI engineers develop tools designed to model human behavior in order to carry out complex tasks.
- Artificial intelligence engineers use machine learning principles to design solutions that combine the best practices of artificial intelligence.
- In the area of artificial intelligence, engineers develop and apply algorithms to improve existing AI software, especially when the software deviates from what the end-user expects or needs.
Some artificial intelligence engineers do not perform all of these tasks. Many job responsibilities depend on the company’s industry and the organization to which it belongs.
Becoming an AI engineer
Building up the necessary knowledge and experience is the first step in becoming an artificial intelligence engineer. Potential employers typically look for education and experience, among other things:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in mathematics and basic computer technology is usually required for applications for artificial intelligence engineers. In addition to demonstrating a willingness to learn more about this career path, a bachelor’s degree shows familiarity with advanced theory, modeling, and project management. Many employers prefer applicants with a master’s degree in computer science over those with a bachelor’s degree in artificial intelligence engineering.
- Most employers look for evidence of programming experience, particularly with Python, R, and Java. The candidate will also be attractive if he or she has experience with linear algebra, statistics, signal processing, and neural network architectures. Experience can also be demonstrated through internships or participation in events like boot camps or hackathons.
- Scikit Learn, Tensorflow, Theano, Caffe, MxNet, Keras, PyTorch, and CNTK are among the top tools used in AI development. In order to be considered for the job of artificial intelligence engineer, candidates should be proficient in at least one of these tools.
- AI engineers are responsible for developing applications that use machine learning models. To build AI models, engineers must build them from scratch and explain their results to others.
- Applicants’ work samples are increasingly sought by employers during the interview process. An artificial intelligence engineer job candidate can benefit from having a Github repository with previous artificial intelligence modeling.
- AI engineers are expected to pursue continuing education, as are many technology roles. By earning certifications and demonstrating competence with relevant platforms, languages, and design methodologies, you can meet these demands.
Among the most favored employers for AI engineers are Microsoft, Google, Apple, IBM, and Wells Fargo.